Archives: Department Posts

Office Documents

All documents can be submitted via mail or in person during normal business hours.

Office Hours

Monday-Friday: 8 AM – 4:30 PM
Occasionally this office is closed from 12-1 for lunch, please call ahead to ensure availability.


ALL RECORDING RECEIVED AFTER 4:00 p.m. will be recorded on the next business day.

Voter Registration

Use the following link to check your voter registration status:



Recording Fees

***Please see post under County News regarding County Clerk fee schedule changes effective July 1, 2023***

Standard Recordings

  • Deeds, Mortgages, Releases, Leases, Easements, Other Documents Pertaining to Real Property: $80.00

Non-Standard Recordings

  • See provisions listed below to determine Non-Standard process:$108.00

Plat / Survey

  • Letter Size: $80.00
  • Any Plat / Survey Larger Than Letter Size: $108.00

Non-Land Documents

  • Non-Land Documents, Vitals, RHS Exept, Finance, UCC, Terminations, Miscellaneous: $70.00

The fees charged under this section shall be inclusive of all County and state fees that the county may elect or is required to impose or adjust, including, but not limited to, GIS fees, automation fees, document storage fees, and the rental housing support program state surcharge.

Non-Standard Recordings:

  1. Paper size legal size or bigger.
  2. 8 1⁄2 x 11 with 6 parcels or more.
  3. A document that creates a division of a then active existing tax parcel id #.
  4. A document recorded pursuant to the uniform commercial code.
  5. A document which is non-conforming, as described in paragraphs 1 through 5 of Section 3-5018.
    1. The document shall consist of one or more individual sheets measuring 8.5 inches by 11 inches, not permanently bound and not a continuous measure up to 11 inches by 17 inches shall be recorded without charging an additional fee.
    2. The document shall be legibly printed in black ink, by hand, type or computer. Signatures and dates may be in contrasting colors if they will reproduce clearly.
    3. The document shall be on white paper of not less than 20 pound weight and shall have a clean margin of at least one-half inch on the top, the bottom, and each side. Margins may be used for non-essential notations that will not affect the validity of the document, including but not limited to form numbers, page numbers and customer notations.
    4. The first page of the document shall contain a blank space, measuring at least 3 inches by 5 inches, from the upper right corner.
    5. The document shall not have any attachment stapled or otherwise affixed to any page.
  6. A state lien or federal lien.
  7. A document making specific reference to more than 5 tax parcel identification #’s in the county in which it is presented for recording.
  8. A document making specific reference to more than 5 other document numbers recorded in the county in which it is presented for recording.
Searching and Accessing Vital Records

Search and access to vital records is strictly regulated by the Illinois Vital Records Act, 410 ILCS 535/23-25.

The Hamilton County Clerk’s Office is bound by State law to adhere to the policies and guidelines of the State of Illinois, with the exception of charging a search fee for vital records.

Who Can Handle the Indexes?

Birth, death and marriage indexes in the custody of the County Clerk can be handled and viewed only by the County Clerk and her employees of the County Clerk’s office, except for indexes prior to 1916 for genealogical purposes only. Old indexes can be viewed and handled by the general public.

Who Can Handle the Records?

  • County Clerk and staff of the County Clerk’s office for administrative purposes
  • State registrar or their agent
  • Any municipal, county, multi-county public health district recognized by the Illinois Department of Public Health for the purpose of carrying out public health programs

Copies of Birth Certificates can be issued to:

  • The person named, if 18 years of age or older
  • The parents of the person where the names of the parent requesting is listed
  • A legal guardian (must provide guardianship paperwork)
  • The person’s legal representative
  • An agent with written notarized authorization from the named person
  • A department of the State or Federal government
  • Any individual upon order of the court
  • Persons having genealogical interest, if on file for at least 75 years

Copies of Death Certificates can be given to:

  • A person, or his duly authorized agent, having genealogical, personal or property right interest in the record. For genealogical purposes, the death must be on file for at least 20 years.
  • A department of the State or Federal government
  • Any person upon order of a court
  • Administrator or executor of the decedent’s estate
  • Veteran’s Administration or accredited veteran’s organization (without charge)

Copies of Marriage Licenses can be given to:

  • Any individual providing pertinent information. For genealogical purposes, the marriage must be on file for at least 50 years.

Marriage License / Civil Union License Requirements:

  • A one day waiting period ( unless waived by the Judge ) The licenses are good for 60 days.
  • Signatures of both applicants are required.
  • Copy of Birth Certificate and Photo ID required for issuance of license Must get married in the County that issues the license

Fees for Vital Records and Copies

  • Birth Certificate:First Copy: $18.00                          Each Additional: $6.00
  • Death Certificate:First Copy: $22.00                          Each Additional: $10.00
  • Marriage Certificate:First Copy: $18.00                          Each Additional: $6.00
  • Marriage License: $75.00 / page
  • Assumed Name: $29.00 / page
  • Assumed Name Change: $29.00 / page
  • Notary in Person or by Mail: $16.00 / page
  • Tax Redemption (Clerk Fee): $95.00 / page
  • Search Fee: $8.00 / page
  • Copy Fee – Abstractor or Regular: $2.00 / page
  • Uncertified Genealogical Copy of Any Certificate: $2.00 / page
Vital Record Search for Genealogy

Certified copies of Birth, Death, and Marriage Records of persons who were born, deceased, or married in Hamilton County may be obtained for genealogical purposes from our Office.

Birth & Death Records begin in 1878 and Marriage Records go back to 1821 (1869 thru 1872 very limited).

Birth, Death & Marriage Records are not Public Records. Records for genealogy purposes can only be issued if on file the required number of years:

  • Births older than 75 years
  • (proof of death if under 100 years)
  • Marriages older than 50 years
  • Deaths older than 20 years

Vital Records are confidential records, and copies can be issued only to persons entitled to receive them. Our office is bound by policies and guidelines of the State of Illinois Vital Records Act. For more information on the Act you can visit:

To submit a Genealogy Application download and fill out the form below.

Online Record Search

The Hamilton County Clerk & Recorder is making searching easier. By making their records available online, you can now search wherever you have internet, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week–even during major holidays. Search from your office, from your home, or even from another state. Search at your convenience.

Illinois County Clerk and Recorder Portal

Hamilton County Records Portal

Hamilton County Tax Portal

Marriage License

Obtaining a Marriage License in Hamilton County, Illinois

Where to apply: Heather Bowman, Hamilton County Clerk and Recorder’s Office, 100 S. Jackson Street, Room 2, McLeansboro, IL 62859

When to apply: You and your fiancé must appear at the Office of the County Clerk together. The license must be obtained at least 1 day prior to being used. The license is void 60 days after the effective date. The license must be used in Hamilton County.

Fee: The fee for a marriage license is $75.00.


Age: In order to be married in Illinois without parental consent, you must be at least 18 years of age. If you are under 18 years of age, both parents must sign a parental consent form in the County Clerk’s Office and they must have a valid Driver’s License or State ID for identification at the time you apply for your license. If it is not possible for your parents to sign in this office, signature can be witnessed by the County Clerk in your parent’s County. If a parent is deceased, a death certificate, proof of guardianship or court order waiving consent must be presented.

It is necessary for anyone applying for a marriage license to show proof of age when you apply for a marriage license. A valid Driver’s License or State ID is required AS WELL AS a certified copy of your birth record.

Return of License: The license must be returned to the County Clerk’s Office within 10 days after the date of the marriage.

Use of Marriage License: Your marriage license must be obtained in the County where the marriage will take place.

Requesting a Certified Copy: You may obtain a certified copy of your marriage license if it was issued in Hamilton County, IL from the County Clerk’s Office. Include the maiden name of the bride, the groom’s name, the date of marriage and the fee of $18.00. Additional copies of the same license may be obtained for $6.00 each if made at the same time.

Office Documents

All documents can be submitted via mail or in person during normal business hours.

Kelly Woodrow, Board Chairman

Animal Control Committee

Liquor Control Committee
Building & Grounds Committee

John Mead, Vice Chairman

County Highway Committee

Building & Grounds Committee
Police Commission Committee
Public Safety Committee

John Chapman

Finance Committee

Police Commission Committee

Insurance Committee

Public Safety Committee
SIRP & DC Committee

James D. “Jimmy” Johnson

Animal Control Committee
Finance Committee

Insurance Committee

Adam Little

Liquor Control Committee

County Highway

ESTB Board Committee

Online Records

Using the Judici, a third-party provided service to Illinois courts, you can lookup cases, court scheduling and other filings. See links provided below.

Search case information

  • Search our public records. See charges, payment listings and more. You can even subscribe to a case to be notified of changes.

Make a payment

Traffic tickets

  • DUI and traffic cases
  • Plea & pay “May Appear” traffic and conservation citations
  • Request supervision on “may appear” traffic citations [if this is applicable]

Pay fines & costs

  • Criminal cases (DUIs, ordinance violations, felonies and misdemeanors)

Services for attorneys